DEPUTY COMPTROLLER (Posted 12/5/2019)
Annual Salary: Dependent on qualifications and experience.
Duties and Responsibilities: Reporting directly to the Comptroller, responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assisting with supervision and support of employees in the Finance Department who perform accounting, payroll, purchasing, accounts payable, collection, accounts receivable, billing and personnel functions.
- Determine the daily cash requirements of the city.
- Review and approve payroll registers and related tax and retirement system reports.
- Approve vendor invoices and monitor budgets to ensure compliance.
- Prepare various reconciliations and related journal entries as needed.
- Assist in maintaining the general ledger and various subsidiary journals.
- Assist in preparation of the annual budgets.
- Assisting with annual audits.
- Prepare financial reports throughout the year and present to elected officials.
- Assist in managing the city’s property and liability insurance program and maintain schedule of fixed assets.
Education & Experience Requirements:
Minimum requirements include graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered four-year college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration. Candidates need to have at least five years of experience in accounting or finance, preferably in a New York State municipality. Candidates should have experience in preparing and maintaining financial accounts and records and preparation of financial statements. The individual needs to communicate well both verbally and in writing and develop relationships across various city departments.
How to apply / Other information:
Please send your resume and cover letter to Comptroller, City of Jamestown, 200 East Third Street, Jamestown, NY 14701 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position will ascend to the title of Comptroller upon the retirement of the current Comptroller in mid-2020. This position has a term of office and the successful individual must be, or become, a resident of the City of Jamestown.