August 25, 2016
Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.)

On which side of the street should I be parked?

April 1st-September 30th: (Monthly Alternate Parking) Odd-numbered side during odd-numbered months, even-numbered side during even-numbered months.

October 1st-March 31st: (Daily Alternate Parking) Odd-numbered side on odd-numbered days, even-numbered side on even-numbered days.

How do I dispute a parking ticket?

Write your excuse on the back of the ticket and return it to the City Court or the Parking Violations Bureau's customer service window, located on the 1st floor of City Hall, within 72 hours of issuance.

How do I access the Sex Offender Registry?

The public can refer to the Department of Criminal Justice Services' website at or call (900) 288-3838 whereby they can inquire if a named individual is listed in the registry of sex offenders.

How do I place a report?

Serious crimes (i.e. domestic violence, serious physical assault, automobile accidents involving property damage in excess of $1,000, etc.) require an officer to record the report. Call the Police Receptionist at (716) 483-7536, option "0", for confirmation. For an emergency dial 911.

Who should I call regarding dead animals?

Contact Sanitation at (716) 661-1651.

When is the Animal Control Officer available?

Scheduled hours are 8 AM-4 PM Monday through Friday.

How do I start a neighborhood watch group in my neighborhood?

First, find concerned neighbors who are willing to commit some energy to improving the well being of your neighborhood. Next, set up a meeting with neighbors to help organize the group. Then contact a Community Service Unit Officer at 483-7711. This officer will attend your meeting, aid you in completing required registration forms and facilitate your group in achieving your goals.

How do I apply for a job with the department?

Police Officer candidates must be certified by the New York State Bureau for Municipal Police and possess at least 60 college credit hours. They must also take and pass the civil service police officer exam, agility tests, physical and psychological examinations and oral boards.


County of Chautauqua Department of Human Resources

3 N. Erie Street, Room 144, Gerace Office Building, Mayville Ny 14757


for an application and testing dates.

How do I file a complaint against an officer?

Formal complaints must be filed, in person, with a supervisor at the Police Department (201 E. 2nd Street.) Formal complaints cannot be taken over the phone. The police department is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and a supervisor is always on duty.

Informal complaints may be filed over the phone by contacting the Command Duty Officer at (716) 483-7537.