Mayor Sam Teresi (seated right) and Chautauqua Region Community Foundation Executive Director formalize the Veterans Memorial Commission Relocation Fund in June 2011 during a ceremony in Logan Park, the future site of Veterans Memorial Park. Looking on are Commission Members, from left to right, Barclay Wellman, Chairman Ron Cotten, Russell E. Diethrick, Jr., Carolyn Volk, and Councilman George Spitale.
The memorial will be located off Logan Avenue and will feature three distinct areas connected by a walkway. The first area will be the permanent home of the cannon previously displayed in Veterans Park on Second Street. The second and largest area will be the flag pole and monuments honoring the branches of the U.S. military. The third area will feature some form of memorial to those who lost their lives in combat.
City of Jamestown
Veteran’s (Logan) Memorial Park Groundbreaking
Phase I – June 3, 2013
- Phase I of the project will entail the development of the main central circle surrounding the flag pole.
- The main circle will be 60 feet in diameter and constructed out of stamped concrete that resembles red brick.
- There will be a granite curb surrounding the circle.
- Lights will be installed to illuminate the flag in the center of the memorial.
- During the Phase I project, the foundation for a future monument will also be constructed in the vicinity of the planned third circle portion of the overall project.
- Phase I project cost: $66,000
- Funding has been made possible by the City of Jamestown, Chautauqua Region Community Foundation, Sheldon Foundation, Hulquist Foundation, various veterans’ organizations throughout the Greater Jamestown region, and a number of generous businesses and individual contributors.
You may view the architect’s rendering of the memorial.
To make tax-deductible donations to the project, make checks payable to:
Veterans Memorial Commission Relocation Fund
Chautauqua Region Community Foundation
418 Spring Street
Jamestown, NY 14701
Or you may donate through the Community Foundation website at www.crcfonline.org.