CITY RIVERFRONT MANAGEMENT COUNCIL
Meeting held Tuesday, April 10, 2018
The meeting of the Riverfront Management Council of the City of Jamestown, New York, was held on Tuesday, February 13, 2018, at 5:30 p.m.
Those present representing the Council were:
Julia Ciesla-Hanley, Recreation Coordinator
The meeting was called to order by John Bauer.
Introductions of new members made.
Approval of Minutes of Previous Meeting
A motion was made by Twan Leenders and seconded by Luke Fodor to approve the minutes of the March 13, 2018 meeting. Carried.
Opportunity For Persons to Address Council
Reports of Committees & Projects
Report from Parks, Recreation & Conservation Commission: Julia said the sheet piling had been removed from the BPU. Dave Anderson said the current is moving great. He said weather is holding up work.
Riverwalk Stabilization Project: Twan said the DEC permits are done and on the BPU’s desk for signatures. The quarries are lined up to get rip rap material. As soon as the permits clear and the DEC is okay with the work, the project could be completed in just over 2 weeks. The plan is to rebuild the bank and then hydroseed. Twan said they have permits for the first phase but had to do a new DEC application for the next phases. Dave Anderson asked about the BPU parking lot. Twan said they were hoping to use the BPU’s lot for parking so that they didn’t have to build additional spaces. Two kayak launches will go in and if they can build in handicapped spots in the BPU lot that would be great. Twan said the BPU is open to that. The current plan includes developing the dead-end of Panzarella Park into marshland. They’re also looking into permeable pavers but they’re running into issues that clash with design plans. The DPW needs to be able to maintain the area so they’re looking for a middle ground with maybe a paved path that has permeable strips alongside to reduce run-off. The final design is open-ended. Twan said he promised Gebbie Foundation Executive Director Greg Edwards that the project will be done by July 4th.
CWC/Property Discussion: Twan said he received a request from Jonathan Townsend from the Chautauqua Watershed Conservancy regarding two small properties on the Chadakoin River in the City. They are next to the Bike Path. Twan said they would be a great location for a kayak launch or educational space. There are two structures on the properties that would need to be removed. There’s a possibility they have asbestos. The CWC declined the option to buy the properties but there is an option for the properties to be donated to the city with the city responsible for the structure removal and remediation of the area. Jennifer Lumia asked what the address is of the properties. Twan said they’re located on Clifton Avenue by the Bike Path. He said the main issue is the cost of the building removal. Russ Diethrick if the owners are known. Twan said they are known and he believes they are active with the CWC. He said Jonathan is willing to come to the RMC to discuss the properties more. Dave Anderson said he can talk to the city. Luke Fodor offered to talk to Director of Development Vince DeJoy. Luke asked who would be the person to talk to about the process. Julia thinks Vince would be the person to talk to for sure and they may want to involve Acting Parks Director Jeff Lehman since we’re discussing adding to park land. She wasn’t sure if it would need to go through state approval or not. Twan asked if we knew if the properties are located in the Brownfield Opportunity Area because there may be opportunities there. Jennifer said it seems like asbestos removal could be $10-$12,000 for one building with asbestos shingles. Twan asked what the next move would be. Luke said he’ll talk to Vince first.
Bridge Event: Julia said Mayor Teresi has expressed a desire to have the bridge event as soon as the bridges are completed and ready to be opened to the public. She said this does create some planning challenges as there is no firm timeline for when the bridges will be open due to complications caused by the weather. The event would be based primarily around the new pedestrian bridges in terms of location. We’re looking at an event that will take place in either late June or July at this point. Dave Anderson wondered if Evergreen Outfitters could be brought down to do canoe and kayak rentals. He said like the McCrea event and the idea of keeping it simple due to time constraints. Jennifer Lumia suggested holding the May RMC meeting on the Riverwalk by Blackstone-Ney to take a walk around the area to get a feel for what might be possible for the event. RMC members agreed.
RTPI Summer Ambassadors: Twan said he’s looking for students for the ambassador program. This year’s crew will be involved with the planting and bank restabilization on the Chadakoin. He’s paying $10.50/hour for crew leaders and $1,500 for stipends for crew positions. Twan would love to do a program for younger kids too where high school students teach the younger kids. Ruth Lundin added the Audubon has nature programs for children as well.
Discussion: Good Of The Order
- Earth Day Celebration on April 21st at St. Luke’s. The pillar will be installed with a band and food
- The BANFF event will be at the Reg at 7pm tomorrow. Tickets are available online or at the door
- May 2nd will be a talk on Chautauqua Lake by John Jablonsky at St. Luke’s
- April 18th there will be a water discussion at the Robert H. Jackson Center
- May 10th – Dave Anderson said students will be at Clear Creek to do water analysis and catch warblers
- JCC Earth Fest is April 18th. There will be an adopt-a-tree event and tree planting
- Dave Anderson said trees will be planted at local schools during the months of April and May
- Julia said the City will hold its annual Arbor Day celebrations in May
- Julia said the city is still searching for summer employees for DPW, Parks, and Playground Programs.
The next meeting is Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 5:30 pm.